Ticket to Ride (TTR) is one of my most favorite games! I’ve taught it for 2 semesters with our homeschool group, and my family loves playing it, too. It comes in a variety of forms: board game, iPad, iPhone/iPod Pocket, and Steam.
This is from the publisher about the original USA basic edition:
Ticket to Ride is a cross-country train adventure game. Players collect train cards that enable them to claim railway routes connecting cities throughout North America. The longer the routes, the more points they earn. Additional points come to those who can fulfill their Destination Tickets by connecting two distant cities, and to the player who builds the longest continuous railway. For 2 to 5 players ages 8 and older. Playing time: 30-60 minutes. Comes with: 1 Board map of North American train routes, 240 Colored Train Cars, 110 Train Car cards, 30 Destination Tickets, 5 Wooden Scoring Markers, 1 Days of Wonder Online access number, and a Rules booklet.
Learn more by watching the Ticket to Ride video.
For board gamers, here is what’s available:
- Ticket To Ride – basic USA map
- Ticket To Ride 1910 Expansion – expansion that includes USA Expanded, Big Cities of the USA, and Mega USA
- Ticket To Ride – Europe – basic Europe map
- Ticket To Ride 1912 Expansion – expansion that includes Europe Expanded, Big Cities of Europe, and Mega Europe
- Ticket To Ride Asia: Map Collection – Volume 1 – This is an expansion only. You must have TTR USA or TTR Europe. This expansion includes 6 wooden card holders, additional trains for team play, and the maps are very interesting and add depth and complexity to gameplay.
- Ticket To Ride India: Map Collection – Volume 2 – This is an expansion only. You must have TTR USA or TTR Europe. This expansion not only has the India map, but on the on the other side of the board, they’ve included Switzerland, which is the game designers favorite map and is made for 2-3 players. I am partial to the Switzerland map, myself.
- Ticket To Ride: Nordic Countries – This is a standalone limited edition for North America only. The maps include Denmark, Finland, Norway, and Sweden. It is limited in quantity and the game manufacturer has already run out. Your best bet is through my Amazon link here. Also, this edition is for 2-3 players.
For the iOS crowd, here are links to iTunes:
- Ticket to Ride Pocket – iPhone and iPod
- Ticket to Ride Europe Pocket – iPhone and iPod
- Ticket to Ride – iPad only. In-app purchases for expansion sets: Europe, Legendary Asia, Switzerland, and 1910.
For PC users, the best option is definitely on Steam.
Watch the trailer here!
Still not convinced?
Watch Wil Wheaton’s show Table Top, Ep. 4 – Ticket to Ride.